Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Improvement

On the plane ride to Israel, the girl next to me kept using the word 'slicha' to summon the flight attendant.  I knew absolutely no Hebrew, so I assumed that the word meant 'flight attendant' or some kind of title, like 'mrs.'
Later, I learned how very wrong I was; 'slicha' means forgiveness, but it's used the way English speakers use 'excuse me,' like pushing through crowds or when you accidentally bump into someone on the bus.  That was my first exposure to trying to learn Hebrew.

All year long, our Israeli teachers, guides, and leaders have taught us in English.  Understandably, there are a few words they would pause to think about, and sometimes ask the English word for their Hebrew word.  Usually, our two fluent Hebrew speakers would answer.

Yesterday, I was the one who translated both 'culture' and 'equality' for the teachers.  This is true progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment